It’s Pi Day tomorrow! March the 14th, or 3/14 as written in the American MM/DD date format. This is of course a worldwide celebration of the mathematical constant which is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the radius.
Ideas to celebrate Pi day:
- Pi recitation contest. I reached 55 digits once but I’m currently down to 40: 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971
- Pie eating contest (first you have to measure the circumference and radius of the pie to ensure that it is a perfect circle).
- Hypnotise yourself on YTMND.
- Allow your computer to celebrate pi day by making it calculate 256 million digits of pi!
- Watch the film Pi.
A few facts:
- In the movie The Matrix Reloaded, 314 seconds is "the length and breadth of the window" which Neo has to reach the "source" of the matrix.
- In the Star Trek episode "Wolf in the Fold", when the computer of the Enterprise is taken over by an evil consciousness, Spock tells the computer to figure π to the last digit, which incapacitates the entity as all computer resources are devoted to this impossible task. (obviously the USS Enterprise doesn’t have dual-core technology. Could a forkbomb take down the USS Enterprise?)
- In Time Warp Trio, Sam shuts down a threatening robot by telling it that his number was π.
Have a good Pi Day!